Thursday, March 5, 2009

Reflection on Play and How to Improve

[I had actually posted this as part of a longer post last month and decided it should stand on its own.]

I have been contemplating my inconsistent match play and am beginning to think that I play to the S/L of my opponent. Then again I can make some difficult shots and then turn around and miss a straight in shot. Maybe that is a let down after reaching up to play near or above my abilities on the previous shot.
Now comes the time to evaluate my play and make improvements by trying to get more practice time in.

Improvements needed:
1. Don't get lazy: take time to look at the shot before getting down.
2. Practice shots that I have difficulty with. Side pocket shots are high on the list, as well as shots where the cue is against an end rail and the object ball is at the other end of the table.
3. Learn the diamond system for bank and kick shots. I usually do quite well by eye-balling the object ball and target pocket, but would like to raise the percentage on these shots to 90-95 percent success rate. (I'm talking one rail, nothing fancy.)
4. Think defensively. I always go up to the table trying to make every shot, and that is not the best strategy - especially if you are playing a high-caliber player who can either run the table or plunk in one or two at a time, while leaving you snookered and ready to give up ball-in-hand.

If anyone has any practical tips for working through the above issues I would like to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment