Thursday, March 5, 2009

Tools of the Trade - What I Play With

When I started playing APA league last January I was shooting with house cues. That was just fine playing at Side Pockets in North Kansas City (our home location at the time) because there were probably a hundred cues available to select from.

Then, during the second or third week of that session, we played at a small bar in Kansas City that had two tables and maybe twelve cues - half of which looked like they were used to participate in, or break up, bar fights! I found one with a decent tip, the only issue was that the weight in the butt was loose so that every time I shot the weight shifted. At that point in my young league playing career I decided I needed my own stick.

With the $50 my wife graciously said I could spend, which just happened to match the amount I received in the form of a Lands End gift card for Christmas, I visited the local Sears store. With the sale taking place I purchased what I thought was the stick I would play with for years. My satisfaction with the cue ended up lasting around six months, but it was not the cue's fault.

At the beginning of the 2008 Summer session a newer player on the team purchased a $200+ Mali cue through Side Pockets (at the time they offered a 20% discount to APA players) and picked it up before our match at Moxies on North Oak Trafficway. Now Moxies has a nice setup, the three pool tables and assorted games are in a separate room - and the tables are Diamond 7-footers with tight pockets. After the match we practiced some, and Jason let me try his new Mali for a game. From that point onwards I had it in mind to get a better hitting, solid cue.

I ended up purchasing a new McDermott Tucson cue pictured here:
This cue has a solid hit with a sweet sound as the cue hits the ball. About the only complaint I have with it is that the tip is harder than I am used to so I have to concentrate more on getting the draw I desire.

I purchased this cue on eBay, I basically bid to bump up the highest bid by $1 for a maximum of $20. For roughly 40% of the MSRP I purchased a McDermott!

Well, this cue was too nice to carry around and store in the soft case I had my Sears Mizerak cue in, so I went to Side Pockets and purchased an Action 1x1 case for more than I might have paid on-line.

Next, since the tip is harder than I wanted, I got a Shadow Tip-Pik with Chalker. This Tip-Pik has a black body with recessed pins and the chalker is attached with a small chain.

To shape the tip I purchased a Willards dime shaper, which I placed on the Tip-Pik's chain. For the shaft I carry an Action shaft slicker. And lastly I carry my quarters in a plastic Skoal container that I also use for marking the pocket when shooting the 8 ball!

I am interested to learn what other players carry, and also what recommendations folks might have for a new tip!

No comments:

Post a Comment